Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Facebook and the Laziness of a Blog


Lazy.

Just plain lazy.

This blog, once a bastion of my insights, desires, ramblings and other fluidly transposed what-not, has gone unattended for a VERY long while. In that time, a veritable eternity, time has not stood still. Many changes. A new Prez (yuck). A growth in my business (yay!) while others are losing their jobs (boo!). And, the dawn of Facebook.

Facebook. The old Facey McFace. The good ol' FB.

A tool to let everyone know every step you take...every move you make. The Police would not have needed to write that song in this modern age. Just sign on to FB. "Oh...she's doing her nails." Sting would discover. Is FB the death of romance or the 21st century solution to stalking? The jury is still out. They're busy updating their status.

That being said...of course I have a Facebook account!! Where else can I discover what my Science lab partner form 1983 is doing? Forget that I haven't seen him in 20+ years. As long as I know he is drinking a beer while watching the sun set...the earth will continue to spin on it's axis.

As has been posted here before, the creation of this blog was simply because Google required that I sign up for an account to reply on other folks' blogs. That was my modus operandi. Swoop in, make a snarky or offensive comment, then swoop out. De-swoop? Disinswoop? Retroswoop? Sigh. Once I signed up...the blog was the next logical step. An outlet. It was also fun & a bit therapeutic. I still can't read the Lucy post without tearing up.

Enter Facebook. It's technically a gateway drug. You get there. See posts from The Ghosts of Christmas Past & Present. And you're compelled to contribute. It's downright impossible not to. Once you do...you're inundated with 'friend' requests. Good manners dictate that you accept a hand outstretched in friendship. Even a virtual one. I currently have 255 friends. Now, if hard pressed...I'm not sure if I talk to 255 people in a year outside of work. Again, a lot of these are from the distant past where, to be honest, I tended to make the occasional impression here & there. Additionally, it has become a major source for my news exposure(!). It was there I found out about Michael Jackson's death, check on Braves' scores and other "important events"

Best of all...it's designed for the snarky comment. My stock in trade. My forte. My creative spark. Again, impossible to resist. But in my snarky revelry...The Blog of Doob has not only been dormant but non-existent. The sad thing is...I actually enjoy writing. Emails & Texting have done a Tonya Harding to the written word. Americans' grasp of the English language was tenuous at best. Now, we are succumbing to the LOL/LMFAO/BTW/:) form of prose. Let's all say it together...awwww. This blog kept me, in a small way, from becoming literarily and mentally stagnant.

With that in mind..I'll consider my past absence from this blog my mulligan. I will pledge to return here more frequently... if only to free my mind of cumbersome yet important thoughts. Ones that can't be contained in a mere Facebook reply space. Trust me...I've tried.

Plus...here I can delete the replys to my posts I don't like without deleting the post itself. Comforting. Because...after all..it is all about me.

No comments: