Friday, November 5, 2010

In an effort to post more frequently...a blast from my past!

I know it's hard to believe but I was once a prankster. As usual, it was typically something that amused only me. If other people dug it...BONUS! In the summer of 1987, I was working at a small radio station in the quaint hamlet of Brunswick, GA.

At the time, there were 6 or so radio stations in town. One, in particular, was the pinnacle of old school radio. The station played music that made elevators weep. But it's bread & butter was a little "talk show" called Open Mic. It's host was the stalwart John Lane. For a show that was a community interest show that craved opinion, Mr. Lane gave none. His comments were typically given on one side of the topic then , suddenly, he'd give the other side. it gave the impression that he had no opinion & was, quite possibly, conflicted. Having met the man a few times, I can also add that he really didn't have a sense of humor.

To top it all off, it was a rite of passage for the town's other DJ's to prank call the show & see if the caller could get through without laughing or being cut off. Bonus points were given for slang or innuendo.

The following was my opening salvo in what would become a memorable summer & the birth of a local folk hero...Fred C. Dobbs.

Enjoy....


No comments: